The Best Blue Cheese Dip Ever
I’ve been spooning this blue cheese dip into my mouth. I think I’m addicted – I really can’t resist it’s sweet, fluffy funk. Y’know some say cheese is dairy crack. It’s because casein, a milk protein, releases opiates that trigger dopamine receptors. It’s similar to the effect of heroin on the brain. That’s one reason why eating cheese is so euphoric
But cheese is good for you. So it’s kind of like a healthier heroine. Anyway, back to this blue cheese. If I had known how delicious this dressing was going to be, I would have gotten buffalo wings. But I just had chips instead, which worked just fine.
For this recipe, I used Big Woods Blue from Shepherds Way Farm in Minnesota. It’s a very dense, buttery bleu cheese, with a roundness to the blue flavor. It’s kind of like a warm hug that turns into a tickle match. I also used Vermont Creamery Mascarpone, because there is no other.
Blue Cheese Dip
- 4 ounces blue cheese, such as Maytag, Cashel, or Big Wood’s Blue
- 4 ounces mascarpone or cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons kefir or yogurt
- Black pepper
- Chopped scallons to garnish
- Add the cheese, yogurt, and a pinch of pepper to the bowl of a food processor and puree until smooth and fluffy.
- Top with scallions and serve with chips, buffalo wings, or salad.