Pasta is amazing but you can’t eat it all the time. You can eat cabbage all the time.
Cabbage is extremely cheap and crazy healthy for you. Double the references, check it. Cabbage noodles are much lighter than normal spaghetti, so you can eat more meatballs or whatever protein you pair with it. Obviously, it’s not as good as real pasta. Sometimes, you should eat real pasta, especially fresh pasta. Not today.
Cabbage Spaghettie with Meatballs and Easy Tomato Sauce
- 1 head cabbage, sliced into noodles
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, butter, or a mix of both
- 2 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili flakes
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 2 cups canned tomatoes, (whole-roasted or stewed, pureed)
- Meatballs // vegetarian meatballs
- Parmesan to serve
- Salt & pepper
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil and butter in a non-stick pan over medium heat. Add cabbage and season with salt. Sauté until soft and slightly caramelized, stirring continuously. Depending on the thickness of the cabbage, it can take anywhere from 15 to 20 minutes. Season with salt and lemon pepper.
- Heat remaining olive oil over medium low. Add onions and sauté until soft, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and spices and sauté until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add tomato sauce and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Spoon cabbage on to plate and dress with tomato sauce, meatballs and parmesan. Or smother it with garlic butter and pesto. Maybe bake it with a healthy mix of parmesan, mozzarella, and asiago and a bread crumb and sausage topping. Run like the wind, the cabbage noodle is yours.