This saucy fall grilled cheese is stuffed with silky Gruyère, funky blue cheese, crisp apples, and honey, then topped with crispy fried sage for added allure. She’s got that kind of voluptuous flavor to keep you warm and satisfied even on the coldest nights.
Fall Grilled Cheese with Apples, Honey and Crispy Sage
This is your new fav fall grilled cheese recipe. She’s got a bold blue punch mellowed by that nutty Gruyère, all married together with juicy apples and honey that make a sauce in your mouth with the hot, melty cheese. I topped it with crispy sage, mostly because it’s pretty, but also because there’s nothing like that sweet sage flav to round out a seductress like this.
Gruyère: All grilled cheeses need a base of something that melts well, and a young Gruyère will do just that. It’s mild with notes of brown butter and toasted nuts, which screams fall to me. For even melting, make sure it’s at room temperature and sliced very thin.
Blue Cheese: I used one of my favorite blue cheeses, Point Reyes Original Blue. It’s a stunningly beautiful blue, alabaster-white with stark streaks of grayish molds. It tastes of lemon curd and buttermilk with a rich, buttery mouth-coating texture that will leave you begging for a sip of dark, toasty stout.
Sourdough: A grilled cheese with this much flavor deserves something sturdy as hell. I recommend a seeded sourdough because it brings a wonderful texture, especially when the seeds toast in the butter.
The good shit: Don’t use trash honey. If it’s a “product of USA and Mexico”, then it’s a processed blend of shit honey from lord knows where. Shell out for some high-quality, preferably local honey.
Tart and sturdy: I recommend something a little sturdy and sour to prevent sog and counter the sweetness from the apples. A granny smith is always a sexy choice, but save the honey crisps for your cheese plates.
Fall Grilled Cheese with Apples and Honey
- Non-Stick Skillet
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 leaves sage
- 2 slices hearty sourdough bread, ½" thick
- 2 tsp butter, at room temperature
- 2 oz Gruyère, rind removed, sliced thin and at room temperature
- 1 oz Blue Cheese, crumbled and at room temperature
- ¼ apple, sliced thin
- 2 tsp good honey
Make the crispy sage
- Heat olive oil in the skillet over medium-high.
- Add the sage and cook for 2 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel to drain and cool.
Make the grilled cheese
- Set the skillet over medium-low to preheat.
- Smear the outside of each slice of bread with the butter.
- Layer the gruyere evenly over the non-buttered side of the bread.
- Layer the apples over the Gruyère.
- Sprinkle the blue cheese over the apple slices.
- Drizzle the honey in a zig-zag over the apples and cheese.
- Close the sandwich, butter-side up.
- Slide into the pan and let cook until golden brown and delicious, about 5 minutes.
- Flip over, and cook another 5.
- Let rest for 2 minutes, then top with sage, slice it in half, and go to town.
Horngry for more grilled cheese? Check out these sexy ladies!