French Toast, meet Grilled Cheese.
Grilled Cheese, meet French Toast
Why is April National Grilled Cheese Month?
Spring produce is finally among us, filling our lives with tender baby greens, artichokes and bright ruby rhubarb.
Why, after months of wintry imprisonment, are we just celebrating the year-round delicacy that is grilled cheese?
While I’m hot and bothered by this seasonally inappropriate title, I can’t deny my utter fascination with the melted glory that is a grilled cheese sandwich.
It’s my specialty, my staple, my medium. It’s my go-to perfect dinner.
And so I asked myself, “How can I eat grilled cheese for breakfast?”
Introducing the French Toast Grilled Cheese.
Melty, ooey, rich, gooey, and topped with a luscious fried egg.
It will knock your slippers off and power wash your hangover away.
The French Toast Grilled Cheese
- 2 thick slices sourdough bread, slightly stale
- 1 eggs, room temp
- 1 t mustard
- 1 T milk, room temp
- 1 t butter
- 3 oz gruyere cheese
- S + P
- Medium-sized shallow bowl for soaking
- Preheat your skillet. Whisk together the egg, mustard and milk. Add a pinch of salt. Thoroughly soak the sourdough bread in the mixture.
- Melt the butter in the skillet. Turn heat up to medium low. Add the bread to the skillet and toast until set and golden, about 5-10 minutes depending on thickness.
- Flip the toast and cover each crisp side with an ounce of cheese. Cover and allow to melt. This will take anywhere from 5-10 minutes, depending on the thickness of the cheese.
- Serve topped with a fried egg.