Cheese Crisps are Just a Sexier Cheez-It
You know when you make a grilled cheese and some of the cheese falls onto the plan and gets all crispy? These crunchy lil’ Parmigiano cheese crisps are kind of like that, only bigger. They make a quick and easy appetizer or snack, and make for a festive flavorgasm when combined with herbs like thyme or rosemary. Feel free to experiment and get freaky with other herbs, spices, or cheeses.
The Cheese: Parmigiano Reggiano
You can use any hard, grateable cheese in this recipe. I used Parmigiano Reggiano, the King of Cheese. It’s capable of so much more than crowning a bowl of pasta. It has such a deep, complex flavor that it stands alone on a cheese plate, but also bakes up into golden, crunchy cheese orgasms.
Cheese Crisps with Parmigiano Reggiano
- medium bowl
- Silicone mat
- Baking sheet
- 1 cup Parmigiano Reggiano freshly grated
- 1/3 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 3 teaspoons rosemary
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Mix ingredients together in a medium bowl.
- Use a tablespoon to measure out the mixture, then spread it onto a silicone mat in a a 2" circle. Pat down any piles of cheese and fill in any holes.
- Bake until golden, about 8-10 minutes.
- Let cool until crisp, about 6 minutes. Carefully remove from the mats with a spatula.
- Break apart into smaller crisps.
- Repeat with remaining cheese.
- Store in an airtight container. Will keep 2 - 3 days.